The market for wooden lathes is a pretty large one, meaning that taking your time to find out exactly what’s out there is a fairly good idea. However we understand that this does indeed take time. Time that you sometimes don’t have. That’s why we’ve brought together the top 5 reviewed lathes so you don’t have to. The lathe we’re looking at here is the Delta 46-460.
Delta Machinery is a company that has over 90 years’ experience within the power tools and equipment trade and is one of the foremost innovators in the market today. Working across a number of products, they work with saws, drills, grinders and much more. Their advanced woodwork knowledge makes their products great quality at an affordable price.
This heavy duty Delta lathe is great for a multitude of projects and skill sets, and as you will see from the points below, there are a number of great – and not so great – qualities to the package. Take a look at the specifications below for the Delta 46
|ITEM WEIGHT||97 pounds|
|PRODUCT DIMENSIONS||36 x 11 x 17.8 inches|
|ITEM MODEL NUMBER||46-460|
|WARRANTY DESCRIPTION||5 Year Warranty|
What Is Great?
- This item is made from heavy-duty cast iron material to make it one of the strongest products within it’s field. Whether you’re moving the machine around, or having it stay in one place, if you’re working on a big project or just neatening something up, this hardcore piece of machinery can stand the test of almost anything that’s thrown it’s way.
- An awesome, virtually unbeatable warranty give you a huge 5 year cushion in case anything goes wrong with the machine. This gives you the peace of mind and confidence that no matter how big the job you’re doing, one way or another, your machine will be still fighting strong after the project finishes. Merely send it off to Delta and they will fire another across to you in no time.
- The Delta-patented belt-tensioning system allows you to make quick speed changes easily, whilst the system give you the correct amount of tension to to allow a maximum level of power each transfer.
- The forward and reverse engine of this machine will allow you to gain a finer, more professional finish no matter what the job. Merely flip a switch on the machine, and the rotation moves from forward to reverse – there’s no need to change around any of the equipment.
- The variable speed for the product makes a major difference depending on what skill you are and what you are working with. If you’re less skilled, you will want to machine to move slower. This is the same if you’re working with a lighter piece of wood. The variance in speed with this machine gives you this option.
What’s Not Great?
- These products are usually about getting what you pay for. This product is a really reasonable price, but often more experienced woodworkers are looking to spend more money to get a guaranteed higher quality. This quality, although barely called into question across the short term, may not last forever. If you’re looking for a quality-assured product, you may well want to take a look elsewhere where the price is a little higher.
- The customer service for this product is far from ideal. It became apparent from my research that a fair amount of customers were letting their dissatisfaction be known about how easy it is to speak to someone at Delta. There are always unhappy customers, but this would be a concern if I was to buy the product.
Delta Industrial 46-460 12-1/2-Inch Variable-Speed Midi Lathe
My conclusion to this product is that it’s a pretty good, middle of the road woodworking item. The really great points are the varying levels of speed. This is always going to be really handy for various types of jobs, from beginners jobs to projects with different types of material. The warranty, too, is a real bonus, allowing you that time period to send the product back may anything go wrong with it. The best thing about the lathe though would be the patented technology of the tension belt, which allows each rotation maximum tension.
The customer service complaints in regards to the aftercare of the product are truly worrying. There was a fair few customers upset about the poor level of service once you’ve actually handed your money over. That’s not good, especially when you expect the customer care to start after you’ve transferred your money, not end. If you can get past these pretty dodgy signs, then there’s not much else to complain about to do with the product. I feel like it’s great to use and simple to set up.
This product would be great for someone not looking for something that’s too high up the skill spectrum. This, by all admissions, is a mid-level lathe. But it doesn’t claim to be anything else, which is good. For the money you’re paying, you’re getting a good deal.